Re: /usr/lib vs /usr/libexec

Bernd Eckenfels <ecki@lina.inka.de> writes:

> In article <[🔎] 87wtq7gbnq.fsf@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> you wrote:
>> - / can't be on lvm, raid0, raid5, reiserfs, xfs without causing
>> problems for /boot.
>
> Why is that?

Lvm has its backup data in /etc by default. If you ever need it you
are screwed with / on lvm. Also snapshots and pvmove don't work
(deadlock).

raid0/5 don't have support in the bootloaders.

reiserfs/xfs miss support in bootloaders or their tail usage feature
breaks them.

>> - a larger FS has more chance of failing so you risk having a fully
>> broken system more often
>
> And two file systems have even more chance. One read only file system is
> pretty stable.

Hardly anyone has it read-only nowadays.

>> - /usr can be easily network (shared accross the same arch) mounted
>> while / (due to /etc) can't
>> - / needs functioning device nodes on it while usr can be mounted nodev
>
> I agreee, those arguments and the netboot stuff is an argment for a smaller
> root partition. However our root filesystem is too big anyway.
>
> Greetings
> Bernd

Not all of those arguments work for everyone nor do they all work
together. Every user case is different.

MfG
        Goswin