Re: /usr/lib vs /usr/libexec

Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>
>>> That doesn't make sense.  If you get rid of the /usr vs / distinction,
>>> then there is no "before /usr is mounted".
>>
>> But then you have a minimum 1-5GB /. That sucks.
>
> Why, exactly?  I know people think it's obvious, but the lack of
> stated reasons worries me.
>
> I know the *original* reasons why / needed to be small, but they don't
> apply anymore.  So I'll buy the "it's obvious" if you can state the
> original reasons and explain why you think they still apply.  If not,
> then what is the current reason?
>
> Thomas

- / can't be on lvm, raid0, raid5, reiserfs, xfs without causing
problems for /boot.

- a larger FS has more chance of failing so you risk having a fully
broken system more often

- /usr can be easily network (shared accross the same arch) mounted
while / (due to /etc) can't

- / needs functioning device nodes on it while usr can be mounted nodev

- a small / can be replicated across many disks to ensure the system
always comes up and e.g. at least send an email to the admin. / can
even be an initrd

MfG
        Goswin