Re: Debian Project Leader report for 2005-04-24

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 01:45:52PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le lundi 25 avril 2005 à 01:03 -0500, Branden Robinson / Debian Project
> Leader a écrit :
> > Woody Security Update Challenges and Progress
> > The ARM problems we've had have also affected the timeliness with which
> > we've been able to get security updates out.  A security fix to
> > ``xfree86``, for example, has been stalled for weeks because no ARM
> > build daemon has been operational to compile it.  (See `Debian bug
> > #298939`_ for details.)
>
> Why, in this case, isn't the package released for the other
> architectures? There's nothing wrong with sending an update later for
> architectures that were missing in the first run.

I don't have an answer for this.  My guess is that the Security Team
decided delaying the update was the lesser of two evils.

Security folks, would you care to comment?

In any event, we have recovered from the ARM situation (and xfree86 for
stable/arm is built for it), and you can expect some happy details in my
next DPL report.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     The power of accurate observation
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     is frequently called cynicism by