Re: PHP/WebApp policy/mailing list

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 12:08:01PM +0200, Francesco Paolo Lovergine wrote:
> On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 11:56:47AM +0200, Alexis Sukrieh wrote:
> > Pascal Hakim wrote:
> > >Speaking as a listmaster, I believe that a list that would be used to
> > >provide people with a place to discuss the packaging of web-apps, as
> > >well as standard things associated with it is a great idea. It's better
> > >than debian-apache (after all, there's other web servers out there), and
> > >it's better than creating a debian-php list. We want this to be used by
> > >all web-apps, whether they be in php, python, perl or whatever the
> > >flavour of the week is.
> >
> > Ok.
> > It seems that everyone here agrees on the fact that such a list would be
> > helpful and could enhance the way webapp packages are made.
> >
> > I find Frankie's suggestion interesting and would vote for an Alioth
> > account for hosting the mailinglist. Moreover, if we want to start
> > writing a "Debian Webapp Policy Manual", alioth is a good idea too, I
> > suppose.
> >
> > First of all we have to find a correct name for such a project. I was
> > thinking at something generic like "webapp-policy" but other ideas are
> > welcome.
> >

> I think a suitable section in debian policy would be appropriate. And
> mere technical discussions about the policy contents are also
> appropriate in d-policy. All other technical discussions should go
> in an alioth list. My suggestion of an alioth list is due to
> current discouraging (and long delays) for a new proper list on
> lists.debian.org. If interested people would think a l.d.o list

Eh, because you believe a new lists.d.o list could take a bit of delay,
an alioth list is better?

Sorry, but I don't agree with the reasoning -- lists.debian.org is for
general discussion lists, while alioth is more for packaging-specific
projects or for new projects that haven't gone anywhere yet.

Web applications in Debian are already numerously packaged, and the need
is obvious for a list to coordinate this and to write a sane policy
about it.

I'm strongly in favour of a lists.debian.org, and I'm sure it'll be
created swiftly when we choose a sane name for it.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl