Re: mplayer 1.0pre7

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 12:59:36AM +0200, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 08:30:06PM +0200, Mario Fux wrote:
> > But what is the difference of mplayers encoding capabilities to ffmpegs
> > encoding capabilities (from it's description: "encoding formats (MPEG, DivX,
> > MPEG4, AC3, DV, ...).") which is in unstable and testing?

> None that I know of, but as I noted, there's a lot of "if", "maybe",
> "don't know" in my mail, also evidenced by the fact that mplayer is
> still in NEW, and not rejected or accepted. Yes, ffmpeg would be the
> same issue I mentioned (but it's not sure mplayer doesn't have more
> issues than that), but just as we have no certainty that mpeg encoding
> is okay, we also have no certainty that mpeg encoding is *not* okay. So
> while this is still unclear, we're leaving the situation as it is, not
> making it potentially worse by accepting mplayer, but also not seeing
> enough grounds to remove ffmpeg.

Would this be solved by linking mplayer against the ffmpeg package?

I would think it'd be pretty easy to get a safe mplayer into Debian by
dropping all the controversial code, and only including things by
linking against the code already in Debian, or including code that is
already in Debian by other packages (if I recall, A52 decoding is
statically linked into xine, so it shouldn't be a problem to have
mplayer statically link and A52 decoder too).

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.