Re: All GPL'ed programs have to go to non-free

  Wow, a civil discussion.  I'll see if I can keep it up.

On Wednesday 20 April 2005 10:10 am, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> Could anyone give a definitive answer to the following questions:
> - Did -003 contain real changes [1] or didn't it change anything?

  That basically depends on who you ask and on the more philosophical question
of what a "real change" is.  I think I'll skip this.

> - How is it possible to happen that only a small amount of the Debian
>   developers (less than one out of four) participates in a GR vote,
>   the consequences of this GR do not become widely known until after
>   the GR, and one month later, corrections to this GR are widely
>   accepted?

  Anecdotally, it seems that at least some of the people who voted for -003
felt we were already in violation of the SC, and hence there was no need to
rush to change things (since it hadn't been a priority before the GR).
Others thought that a substantive change was taking place, but weren't
expecting the Release Manager to immediately incorporate the changes as a
release goal -- they had simply assumed that a timetable would be laid out
that took sarge into consideration.  I believe you can find people expressing
sentiments along these lines in last spring's list archives.

  I think there also were a few people who claimed to have been mislead about
what the SC changes did, although I've seen many, many more individuals
claiming that other (unspecified) people were mislead.

> - If -003 changed anything, were there Debian developers who mistakenly
>   agreed to -003 because of it's obfuscated "Editorial amendments"
>   title?
>
> If the intention of GRs was to express the opinion of the Debian
> developers, the whole -003 and -004 mess seems to be a way how to not do
> it.

  I don't think that anyone would do things exactly the same way with the
benefit of hindsight.

  Daniel

--
/------------------- Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> ------------------\
|     You are standing west of a white house.  There is a mailbox here.     |