Re: FTBFS for illegal archs

Hello Wouter,

* Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> [2005-04-17 11:10]:
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 12:21:36PM +0200, Nico Golde wrote:
> > I read the policy, I know what it says.
>
> Okay, good :)
>
> (it would've helped if you had mentioned the following in your original
> mail...)

ok next time :)

> * Jeroen:
> > Please also try to make your package actually FTBFS on systems not
> > supporting acpi, if that's possible, besides limiting the Architecture
> > line as you've already done.
>
> For one thing, when using dpkg-buildpackage, a package will FTBFS if the
> Architecture line doesn't contain the architecture you're building on
> (unless I'm mistaken, but I don't think I am).

Yes right:
Automatic build of yacpi_1.2.1-1 on goedel by sbuild/alpha 17
Build started at 20050331-1936
Checking available source versions...
Fetching source files...
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
Need to get 21.6kB of source archives.
Get:1 http://incoming.debian.org  yacpi 1.2.1-1 (dsc) [577B]
Get:2 http://incoming.debian.org  yacpi 1.2.1-1 (tar) [19.4kB]
Get:3 http://incoming.debian.org  yacpi 1.2.1-1 (diff) [1698B]
Fetched 21.6kB in 0s (42.3kB/s)
Download complete and in download only mode
: alpha not in arch list: i386 ia64 amd64 -- skipping

> That being said, I'm not sure this is necessary. For starters, Jeroen
> included the "if that's possible" bit; but apart from that, it's not
> because the ACPI interface does not exist for an architecture today that
> it will never exist; it's not completely impossible that one day,
> someone will make a PowerPC-based system with an ACPI interface, even if
> it is unlikely. At that point, it'd be nice if the package would build
> for PowerPC without /too/ much effort. And as long as it won't build on
> PowerPC today, your job is done, I'd say.

OK thanks very much for the further information.
Regards Nico
--
Nico Golde - 310777820@ICQ | GPG: 1024D/73647CFF
http://www.ngolde.de | http://www.muttng.org | http://grml.org