Re: What do you win by moving things to non-free?

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 11:15:29PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 04:29:42AM +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> > In article <[🔎] 20050416015445.GF4831@stusta.de> you wrote:
> > > Is this wanted?
> >
> > This may not be wanted, but what is your alternative?
>
> Well, it's not that we don't want gcc's documentation to be moved to
> non-free; rather, we don't want gcc's documentation to *be* non-free.
> The moving to non-free is just a side-effect; Adrian seems to be
> saying that we should eliminate the side-effect and ignore the core
> problem.

What is the "core problem"?

Are the differences between the FSF and Debian regarding issues like
invariant sections in Debian really the core problem?

Or are things like hardware with binary-only drivers and without
specifications or software patents more important problems?

As I tried to express in the "system administrator" example in the email
I sent a few minutes ago, I'm sure nearly everyone outside the inner
circle of the free software world will consider the whole GFDL
discussion as being absurd. In the Qt/GPL case Debian was at least able
to argue that it would otherwise break laws which convinces many people.

And if the FSF doesn't want to change the GFDL in a way that Debian
wants I doubt moving GFDL'ed documentation to non-free will put much
pressure on them.

> Glenn Maynard

cu
Adrian