Re: arm seems OK: release status?

Op ma, 11-04-2005 te 23:36 +1000, schreef Paul TBBle Hampson:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 02:31:15PM +0200, A Mennucc wrote:
> > when a buildd builds a package, it first install all
> > build-dependencies, then compiles, then remove all build-dependencies.
> > For my package, that was a total of 113 MB of data to be moved in and
> > out of disks; since ARM is running late, maybe it would be wise to not
> > remove build-dependencies at the end of a run, (and check for any
> > build conflict before starting, and just remove that)
>
> Funny. I was under the impression that the buildds _did_ leave these
> packages installed, and that was one of the things that pbuilder could
> test that the buildds don't, that build-depends are complete and
> sufficient.

Both are true, actually.

sbuild (the component in the buildd software suite that does the actual
building) checks whether build-dependencies are satisfied with the
current build chroot, and if not, will install or remove packages as
required to satisfy the build-dependencies. After the build has been
finished, sbuild will attempt to get the build chroot back to its
previous state (but will not care if that step fails, and happily move
on to the next package)

This means that over time, the number of packages installed in the
buildd chroot will increase. It also means that it is possible to make
sure that those packages that are build-depended on by most packages
(debhelper being the obvious example) are preinstalled in the chroot; on
my buildd hosts, I never remove that package. However,
installing /everything/ really isn't efficient -- in compressed form,
there's some 10G worth of software available for each architecture;
maintaining a chroot environment of that size is madness.

The fact that sbuild doesn't care when uninstall fails is the reason why
sbuild isn't pbuilder -- why it can't guarantee that if a build
succeeds, the build-dependencies are satisfied. However, that doesn't
mean we preinstall /everything/.

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks