Re: openswan 2.3.1 is now available - Call for Help

On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 01:24:20PM +0200, Rene Mayrhofer wrote:
> Hi all,

> [Please CC me in replies, I am currently not subscribed to this list.]

> Since yesterday, openswan upstream 2.3.1 is on the download servers, and it
> should supposedly fix the problems of 2.3.0 (specifically that it caused all
> other openswan daemons, be it 2.2.0 or 2.3.0, to crash in some cases) that
> prevented me from pushing that version into testing (and subsequently led to
> the removal of openswan from testing). I am currently working hard on
> updating the package to 2.3.1 (which unfortunately again changed the source
> tree layout, sigh) and will then go through the bug reports and check if
> 2.3.1 fixes them.

> Since we are very late in the sarge release process, I know well that it is an
> extremely bad time for updating to new upstream versions. Nonetheless, I
> really think that openswan (a working version....) should be part of the new
> stable and am now trying to get this back into testing.

I definately agree with this. ^_^

> I will probably need some help with this to do it in the next few days.
> Anybody who is using freeswan or openswan right now and is interested in
> having it in testing (and unstable, in fact), please help. I could definitely
> use help in testing, but anybody who wants to work on packaging itself is of
> course also welcome (e.g. on the minor bugs like debconf translations).

I'm interested in testing the new version, although the problem I was
suffering was a windows interoperability bug (Win2K Ipsec would crash
pluto) which I reported to the Openswan list and was told it would
probably be fixed in 2.3.1. I've built from the debian/ directory in CVS
at the moment, but haven't tried it in a few weeks to see if CVS fixed
my problem.

I also had two 2.3.0 openswans talking to each other for L2TP, but I
didn't see the crashing problem you've mentioned above (and which is to
do with NAT-T if the 2.3.1 changelog is anything to go by), both using
the 2.6 built-in IPSec stack for kernel support.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.