Re: Minimizing ld dependencies with --as-needed

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 03:09:13AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 12:53:27PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > Le vendredi 01 avril 2005 à 02:34 -0600, Ron Johnson a écrit :
> > > What are the opinions of d-d's of --as-needed?
>
> > > http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=17287
>
> > > According to this thread, the number of dependencies can sometimes
> > > be slashed drastically.
>
> > I'm moving all my packages to use it.
>
> Please don't.  Last I knew, this option was still labelled *experimental*
> upstream -- there's no possible damage that stray lib dependencies can do to
> sarge that competes with the certain damage of having *missing* library
> dependencies.

For the record, it isn't actually labelled as experimental upstream -
but there have been some problems with it, and they were fixed in
versions of binutils not yet included in Debian.  I second Steve's
advice; if you want to use this ld feature, wait a little longer.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC