Re: Minimizing ld dependencies with --as-needed

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 06:01:27AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

> And since these are (always?) dependencies on shared objects,
> these libraries never get used, except to say, "Here I am!",
> right?

The runtime linker still loads them, which can be expensive (esp.
if there are many relocation records), and unneccessarily consumes
virtual address space (which can be a problem for applications with
large working set on 32-bit systems).

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences