Re: unixODBC vs. iODBC

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 09:53:57PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Debian currently ships two ODBC driver managers, unixODBC (source
> package "unixodbc") and iODBC (source package "libiodbc2").  These
> basically do the same thing.  Every package that wants to provide
> database access through ODBC has to pick at build time which driver
> manager to use.  That in turn forces the user to set up each ODBC
> drivers twice, once for each driver manager.  This process must seem
> pretty arbitary from the user's point of view.

(It also seems pretty arbitrary from my point of view, as a maintainer
who doesn't use either. ^_^)

> I'm not attached to either camp, but here are some data points:

> - Currently 18 packages use unixODBC, 11 use iODBC.

For the record, FreeRADIUS users iODBC, but I plan, after Sarge ships,
to move to unixODBC with FreeRADIUS 1.1.0.

> - The lastest PostgreSQL ODBC driver fails to build with iODBC.

... although if this issue hits sarge, I'm going to have to change
earlier since FreeRADIUS cannot link directly with libpq in Debian.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.