Re: Policy for devfs support

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 11:19:43AM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:

> md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:
>
> > On Mar 26, Roger Leigh <rleigh@whinlatter.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm asking because of obstruction (from upstream) regarding the
> >> application of a simple patch to allow yaboot to support it:
> >>
> >> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=300950
> > The yaboot maintainer has been resisting for years all kinds of sensible
> > changes (like #233810), so I'm not really surprised.
>
> Is there anything that could be done about this?  I don't think that
> it's acceptable for the package maintainer to ignore the report for 13
> months, even if they dislike it.

Regarding Debian maintainer, a maintainer should not resist NMU's then
(note one cannot force someone to take any action, just request to not
actively work against). If the maintainer indeed is opposed to changes,
and you think they should be made, the tecinical committee should be
asked to rule.

Regarding upstream, everything that happens to the package is the
upstream's prerogative, and you'll need to fork if you disagree and
think people are better off with an alternative that *has* your wished
changes.

Note, I didn't look at the requests at hand, but for this type of issues
(people working against certain changes), there are always methods in
place to resolve that kind of disputes.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar