Re: intend-to-implement: script to obtain Debian Source

On Monday 28 March 2005 01:33, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> Hi,

Hello,

> My plan is to have a source-repository of every single Debian package.
> I consider it to be interesting in several ways including that of avoiding
> symbol conflicts with shared library package, and finding out
> what might be a scalable way to maintain such a large chunk of source code.

Sounds productive. You'll certainly catch much more weird issues than these.

> > I second suggestion given at #250202 and like to see "unpacked" and
> > "patched" targets to hit Policy 4.8.
>
> unpacked/patched will not be a good name to choose, since they might
> already exist in debian/rules as targets.
>
> It would be nice to have a 'policy-reserved' name for debian/rule targets
> that cannot be used unless policy allows to which is guaranteed not to be
> used anywhere else.

I totally agree with you. I just took the names from the bug report, where
they was given just as sample ones (which is also mentioned there) and I
doubt somebody will pretent having foo or bar (ok, they must make sense ;-)
as far as they are reserved by the policy, which is 'the right thing' [tm].

--cut--
> I've extracted every single package using the following kind of snippet:
>
>  bzgrep ^Package: Sources.bz2 | sed 's/Package: //'  | xargs -n1 apt-get
> source
>

> and started doing some searching on what target can be used for
> extracting the tarball and applying patches; following is a list that
> I came up after a few hours of searching:
>
> acct 6.3.5-39: debian/rules patch
> ace 5.4.2.1.0-2: debian/rules patch
> afio 2.5-3: debian/rules patch
> apache 1.3.33-4: debian/rules source.make
> apache2 2.0.53-5: debian/rules source.make (patch target tries to create
> diff.) arpwatch 2.1a13-2: debian/rules setup
> autofs 4.1.3+4.1.4beta2-3: debian/rules source.make
> away 0.9.5-2: debian/rules setup
> axiom 20050201-1: debian/rules debian/patches_applied
> bacula 1.36.2-1: debian/rules patch
> bash 3.0-14: debian/rules patch-bash
> bash3 3.0-12: debian/rules patch-bash
> bglibs 1.019.dfsg1-0.1: debian/rules unpack
--cut--

I see... pretty good choice to have. Some of them might use a really
complicate procedure. First, I guess must be find out if such complicated
packages (if any ?) can be handled by the 'general procedure(s)' to unpacked
& patch their source. Not sure if you need some assistance, but if you have
further plans I'd be glad to get a clue and see if I can help.

--
pub 4096R/0E4BD0AB 2003-03-18 <danchev.fccf.net/key pgp.mit.edu>
fingerprint    1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB