Re: ITP: mazeofgalious -- The Maze of Galious

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005, Gürkan Sengün wrote:
> > This game cannot be packaged, it infringes a lot of Konami copyright.  You
> > must remember that the game *design* itself is copyrighted, as well as the
> > name, the characters, the graphics, etc.
>
> What about Bomberman? Pacman? Pingus? Supertux? No I will not remove it
> because of the reasons you gave.

Konami is actively enforcing their copyrights.  Even a completely NEW game
(Manesis) which only used the gameplay and themes from Nemesis/Gradius had
to be pulled by its author because of a direct Konami request.  And Manesis
was almost 100% new stuff.  Also, try to find Tokimeki Knightmare for
download.  Can't, well, that's because it had to be pulled for the same
reason.  And Tokimeki knightmare is on the *same* gameline as Maze of
Galious (i.e. Knightmare, Maze of Galious (both editions), and Shalom).

Konami knows their old games are more than good enough to sell well in
emulation CDs for newer systems and also they are about just right for the
mobile market.

> With the completely new graphics, sounds and source I don't think it is
> a problem for Konami. Unless they say so some day I will leave this ITP.

The map is the same.  All the things postfixed with the two magic
letters" TM" in superscript are the same.  The *graphics* are mostly the same
in at least a few of the themes, and are very close to the same in all but
one or two of the themes.

Packaging this game is not a good idea IMO.  I speak this as a major fan of
the entire knightmare series.

As for the other games you mentioned: I don't know about PacMan, that one
might be on the public domain for all I know.  Same for bomberman.  Pingus
only copies the concept, so it would be in about as much trouble as Manesis
was, except for the fact that Lemmings is *not* from Konami, and nobody ever
heard anything from Psygnosis requesting Pingus to be withdrawn.  I have no
idea about Supertux.

  Henrique Holschuh