Re: Idea: about package installation under chroot.

> > I was not aware of this structure, but it seems to relate to controlling
> > the start of damons during boot or changes in runlevel. I do not see how
> > this will prevent a package that has a
> >
> > /etc/init.d/<daemon> start
> Well if they do they won't work on file-rc system , so are already broken ...

Then there are many such broken packages. I just counted about 40 both in
the sarge system closest at hand and in a woody server. The list includes
many important packages, see lists below.  Looks like this policy has not
been followed very much...

        Jorge L. deLyra,  Associate Professor of Physics
            The University of Sao Paulo,  IFUSP-DFMA
       For more information: finger delyra@latt.if.usp.br

woody: acct adjtimex anacron and apache at autofs bind console-common cron
dqs gom gpm ircd isapnptools junkbuster kbd libc6 linuxlogo lprng makedev
mrouted netkit-inetd nfs-common nfs-kernel-server nis ntop ntp-simple
ntpdate portmap ppp procps quota rwhod setserial spamassassin ssh sudo
sysstat upsd xfs xpilot-server xtell

sarge: anacron and apache apache-common at autofs binfmt-support
console-common console-tools cron dhcp3-server exim4-base
exim4-daemon-light gom hpoj isapnptools libdevmapper1 lprng makedev
nbd-client nbd-server netkit-inetd nfs-common nfs-kernel-server nis
ntp-server ntpdate nut portmap procps queue quota rsync rwhod setserial
ssh sudo wu-ftpd xprt-common xtell