Re: [RFC] OpenLDAP automatic upgrade

Hi Quanah,

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 05:58:01PM -0800, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> You can find the patch for adding "-q" to slapadd on OpenLDAP 2.2 here:
>
> <http://www.stanford.edu/services/directory/openldap/configuration/openldap-build-42.html>

Great, thanks! Applied it to the subversion repository.

> I've been reading back over my notes on the problems OpenLDAP has with BDB
> 4.3, and I believe that this patch will resolve those issues as well (as
> long as it is used to load a DB, rather than without the "-q" flag).
>
> The main issue is that the way BDB 4.3 creates transaction logs in the
> quickload scenario is to use
>
> setflags DB_LOG_INMEMORY

Okay. Anyway, I guess I'll revert to bdb 4.2 if you made bad experiences
with 4.3. As long as OpenLDAP does not need any features from 4.3 why
would we want to use it anyway?

> I would note that it would likely be good for Debian to still include a
> DB_CONFIG file in the database directory it creates with its OpenLDAP
> distribution, as the default settings from Sleepycat are entirely too
> small.
>
> Here are some examples.  All examples use:
>
> 10k entry LDIF file
> 23 attributes indexed
> BDB 4.2.52
> "database bdb" as the slapd.conf database
>
> 1) DB_CONFIG file with a 384MB cache, and normal slapadd options.
>
>    ldap-linux0:/db/DBs# time slapadd -l 10k.ldif
>    30.760u 1.800s 0:36.89 88.2%    0+0k 0+0io 13351pf+0w

Point taken :) I'll submit this as a bug to not forget about it. I think
about using at least 1MB for the cache (stop laughing :-) and at most
10% of the main memory of the system. After all there are still people
running slapd on systems with 16MB of memory (our students' hostel
server is still running such a system...)

Greetings

	Torsten