Re: Two thougts about testing

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:55:05AM +0100, Erik Schanze wrote:
> Joerg Friedrich <Joerg.Dieter.Friedrich@uni-konstanz.de>:
> > reading larger parts of the recent threads triggered by the
> > 'Vancouver proposal' brought me to write this mail.
> >
> > Over the last two years testing became more and more a second
> > (almost) stable distribution instead of being a preparation area for the
> > next release. Now there is even security support it is not a officially
> > supported release.
> >
> > Nevertheless I believe that testing is a good idea. But it suffers from
> > some problems.

> > 1. The number of packages
> >    Debian never stopped growing, and there are packages which are
> >    unmaintained but they are still in the archive.
> >    Hey, if noone is willing to maintain a package, wait a grace period
> >    (30 days) and remove it from unstable and testing. If somone needs
> >    it, he could step forward and maintain it.

This doesn't seem like a very good heuristic to me, and it's not something
that's currently a major source of work for the release team.  Currently,
packages in testing are candidates for removal if they've had
release-critical bugs open for more than a week; it doesn't matter if
they're orphaned or not.  Likewise, if a package *doesn't* have
release-critical bugs, it doesn't matter if it's orphaned or not: being
orphaned for a month just isn't a good indicator of the utility, or the
quality, of the package.

Auto-removal of orphaned packages from unstable is also bad if it's an
orphaned library that's still needed (which happens often enough).

> If RC-bugs remain unfixed for a period, I agree with removing, but this is
> common practice, I think. Perhaps somethimes too slow. ;-)

Hmm, 7 days is too slow?

> Perhaps wnpp websites could be improved to show a ranking list of packages
> which will be removed soon and why. A Section "Removal Candidates" in DWN
> could be also helpful.

The thought is to use the new debian-testing-changes mailing list to notify
when (and why) packages have been removed from testing.  Currently, we don't
have any automatic way to notify maintainers of a package's removal from
testing, which is bad.

I don't think DWN is a good choice here, though; weekly reports won't be a
very good starting point for people interested in working on the packages.

> > 2. Unstable to testing migration is one way
> >    Packages migrate to testing automaticly, but removal requires manual
> >    action.
> >    I noticed that some developers work hard to get a package or a
> >    specific version into testing, but if a new (rc) bug occurs after the
> >    migration, nothing happens.
> >    At least optional and extra packages should be removed automaticly if
> >    a new rc bug emerges.
> >    E.g. if noone claims to fix the bug, an extra package should be
> >    removed from testing after one, an optional after two weeks. And also
> >    all packages which depend on the buggy one.

Again, I don't think there are any grounds for automating this.  RC-buggy
packages that are clearly expendable do get removed from testing quite
quickly.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer