Re: Two thougts about testing

Hi Joerg!

Joerg Friedrich <Joerg.Dieter.Friedrich@uni-konstanz.de>:
> reading larger parts of the recent threads triggered by the
> 'Vancouver proposal' brought me to write this mail.
>
> Over the last two years testing became more and more a second
> (almost) stable distribution instead of being a preparation area for the
> next release. Now there is even security support it is not a officially
> supported release.
>
> Nevertheless I believe that testing is a good idea. But it suffers from
> some problems.
>
> 1. The number of packages
>    Debian never stopped growing, and there are packages which are
>    unmaintained but they are still in the archive.
>    Hey, if noone is willing to maintain a package, wait a grace period
>    (30 days) and remove it from unstable and testing. If somone needs
>    it, he could step forward and maintain it.

Where are orphaned packages without bugs or only minor or normal bugs, they
should be hold in testing.

If RC-bugs remain unfixed for a period, I agree with removing, but this is
common practice, I think. Perhaps somethimes too slow. ;-)
Perhaps wnpp websites could be improved to show a ranking list of packages
which will be removed soon and why. A Section "Removal Candidates" in DWN
could be also helpful.

> 2. Unstable to testing migration is one way
>    Packages migrate to testing automaticly, but removal requires manual
>    action.
>    I noticed that some developers work hard to get a package or a
>    specific version into testing, but if a new (rc) bug occurs after the
>    migration, nothing happens.
>    At least optional and extra packages should be removed automaticly if
>    a new rc bug emerges.
>    E.g. if noone claims to fix the bug, an extra package should be
>    removed from testing after one, an optional after two weeks. And also
>    all packages which depend on the buggy one.

I fully agree.
I had already suggested similar idea before.

Kindly regards,
Erik

--
 Bitte keine HTML-E-Mails! No HTML mails, please! Limit: 100 kB *