Re: Ubuntu Patches

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 03:02:32AM +0000, Henning Makholm wrote:

> Then I'm having trouble parsing what you are saying, too. Like
> Thomas, the only sense I can make of your description is that
> you are are describing an algorithm that goes roughly like
>
>   0   Bug is discovered
>   1   Patch is produced
>   2   IF bug is known in the Debian BTS
>   3   THEN mail patch to the Debian maintainer/BTS
>   4   ELSE publish the patch somewere, which will let the Debian
>            maintainer "pull" it iff he chances to find out that
>            somebody downstream from him has published a patch
>            somewhere.

The problem is that you are both looking at the process in reverse.  As I
explained, Ubuntu imports a subset of bugs from the Debian bug tracking
system, and those are the bugs which are relevant to the process I
described.

1. Bug is imported (usually due to release-critical severity)
2. Bug is confirmed in Ubuntu
3. Bug is fixed in Ubuntu
4. Patch is manually submitted to debbugs as a convenience to the Debian
maintainer

Patches are always published regardless of how they came to be applied, or
whether they correspond to a bug at all, via an automated process.  This
process does not open bugs in debbugs (for obvious reasons).

--
 - mdz