Re: Alternative: Source-Centric Approach [w/code]

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 07:39:06PM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Matthias Urlichs dijo [Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 11:14:50PM +0100]:
> > It won't work that well for slower architectures, for the very simple
> > reason that compiling everything would take a long time.
> >
> > m68k (as the admittedly extreme example) doesn't have ten buildd boxes
> > just because we feel like it. :-)
>
> Being m68k among the prime candidates for SCC, why shouldn't we ponder
> using emulated autobuilders? We have some quite decent and reliable
> emulators in our archive for some architectures (i.e., basilisk2 for
> m68k [in contrib because of the needed Mac ROMs], hercules for s390),
> and they do work reliably.

It's bad enough already that the toolchain (which usually does work
reliably) breaks from time to time; having an emulator which might break
in not immediately obvious ways doesn't sound like a particularly
appealing idea to me.

There is no problem whatsoever for us m68k buildd maintainers in
supporting a dozen or so buildd machines -- or more, if required. It
works like a charm.

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks