Re: Alternative: Source-Centric Approach [w/code]

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 07:46:23PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > don't handle deps at all)
> > So, what do you think?  Could this work?
>
> Yes, this could work.
> That's what Gentoo is good at.

[ snip ]

> Your priority are your users, and if Debian has decided to focus only on
> some key architectures it would be the best for them to help them
> switching to Gentoo instead of hacking Debian to become some cheap
> Gentoo clone for most architectures.

I don't view this as being a cheap Gentoo clone.  In fact, I view
srcinst as being the Gentoo idea, done right.  Gentoo has a lot of
problems, especially relating to difficult upgrades.  Because of our
superior packaging system, we are in a great position to hit the ground
running and, with a little help from something like srcinst, come up
with something that works -- and works better than Gentoo -- in a short
amount of time.

> If the Debian developers intereested in the ports Debian intends to drop
> would switch to Gentoo for helping Gentoo to support all of their
> architectures and for providing easy Debian -> Gentoo transition paths
> this would serve your users better.

Yes, but I hope that this proposal, or other suggestions, can help us
avoid dropping ports.  This specific proposal, for instance, is meant to
provide us with a way forward that addresses the main concerns while
still producing a quality, usable result for our users.

-- John