Re: my thoughts on the Vancouver Prospectus

On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 04:10:51AM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> > - While neither of the above concerns is overriding on its own (the
> >   ftpmasters have obviously allowed these ports to persist on
> >   ftp-master.debian.org, and they will be released with sarge), there is a
> >   general feeling that twelve architectures is too many to try to keep in
> >   sync for a release without resulting in severe schedule slippage.
> >   Pre-sarge, I don't think it's possible to quantify "slippage that's
> >   preventible by having more active porter teams" vs. "slippage that's
> >   due to unavoidable overhead"; but if we do need to reduce our count of
> >   release archs, and I believe we do, then all other things being equal, we
> >   should take issues like the above into consideration.

> This, uh, sounds very much like "We need to drop architectures, and so
> we have come up with these criteria that will result in us dropping
> architectures". Which is a reasonable standpoint to take, but which also
> seems to imply that if 12 architectures manage to fulfil all the
> criteria, we'll need to come up with some new criteria to ensure that
> the number drops below 12 again.

> If this is the case, I think that needs to be made clearer to avoid
> situations where people work to meet the criteria but are vetoed by the
> release team because there are already too many architectures. I'm not
> massively keen on this - it ends up sounding a bit too much like dead
> man's shoes.

If we do find ourselves in a situation where the number of architectures
meeting the stated requirements for etch is high enough that it causes
problems per se for the release process, I'm willing to commit to sticking
it out without thinking up new criteria for the purpose of cutting down the
architecture count.  OTOH, if we find that a particular port isn't in a
releasable state for reasons we didn't think of, I believe the release team
still needs a free hand to veto that port's inclusion in the release.

I think we'll be in trouble again in terms of release cycle predictability
if we end up with 12 architectures for etch, but hopefully not *much*
trouble.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer