Re: Package priority change?

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 03:12:06PM +0200, Kalle Kivimaa wrote:
> Before filing any bugs on this matter to the BTS, I'd like to check
> who is responsible for changing the priority of a package? Is it the
> ftpmasters or the package maintainer?
>
> The package in question is k3b, which should depend on cdrdao, but
> cdrdao is too low priority for that. So, either k3b needs to be
> lowered or cdrdao upgraded.

ftp-master, usually the maintainer changes the priority in the next
upload, and replies to the mail regarding override discrepancies he
gets, it lists the correct address to reply to. Both ftp-master and the
package maintainer need to change it, but in the packages lists and
everywhere where it matters, the ftp-master definition takes precedence.

At the moment rules like a package may not depend on a lower priority
package are violated reasonably often, and this is not a RC issue. See
[1] for a list of those issues. It may be that someone is trying to come
up with a list of suggestions to fix that, which could then be
processed, but in the meanwhile, don't feel too bad when temporarily
violating that rule for extra vs optional.

--Jeroen

[1] http://qa.debian.org/debcheck.php?dist=sid&list=priority&arch=ANY

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar