Re: Dropping testing (was: Re: Bits (Nybbles?) from the Vancouver release team meeting)

I demand that Adrian Bunk may or may not have written...

> On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 12:29:28AM +0000, Darren Salt wrote:
>> I demand that Adrian Bunk may or may not have written...
>> [snip]
>>> And without testing, all these transition problems wouldn't exist.
>> And without testing, there are those who currently use testing who'd use
>> stable instead, or possibly go elsewhere.
>> (I'm currently using testing. Updating an installation from unstable over
>> a dial-up connection isn't /quite/ what I want...)

> Even if you are using unstable, noone forces you to update all packages on
> a daily basis.

True, but even with (say) weekly updates, the quantity of packages is likely
to be lower due to things like RC bugs, uploads of newer versions before the
previous versions have made it into testing, etc.

> The main reason of people I know who are currently using testing is simply
> that Debian stable is much too outdated for being useful.

There's that too; and yes, that's one of the reasons why I'm using it.

[snip rest; I'll let others argue about it all or whatever...]
--
| Darren Salt   | linux (or ds) at | nr. Ashington,
| woody, sarge, | youmustbejoking  | Northumberland
| RISC OS       | demon co uk      | Toon Army
|   Let's keep the pound sterling

Do not clog intellect's sluices with bits of knowledge of questionable uses.