Package versions in lesser-architecture-releases (was: Bits (Nybbles?) from the Vancouver release team meeting)

Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> Once you start talking about having divergent packages between
> architectures, a lot of the reasons I'm hearing from people about why
> they want Debian to *do* releases for these archs seem to dissipate,
> because they no longer have assurances that the OS is "the same" on
> different hardware.

As Daniel pointed out, "the same" is more than just "same version".
Moreover, the changes in these later-released versions would, of course,
be only in Debian revisions, and would address only RC bugs.  In most
cases, this would just mean that some of the internal workings have
changed, so that the source does compile, or that the binary does work
(instead of segfaulting...).  From the users' point of view, this is
"the same".

It might be that we're going to have an xpdf security update only for 64
bit arches soon; I assume this won't mean that the other arches have to
recompile their stable stuff just to match the Debian revision?

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich