amd64/multiarch transition (was: Re: Bits (Nybbles?) from the Vancouver release team meeting)

On Monday 14 March 2005 20:24, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> If it weren't for sarge blocking us we would have submitted multiarch
> patches as early as one year ago. Should we start submitting / NMUing
> them for _experimental_ now to get this change running and tested? Or
> should we keep waiting for sarge getting released and then massfile
> them the next week?

From my observations on other major transitions, I believe it is typically
handled by announcing and maintaining a public, central non-bts place to keep
track of all major problems (including lists of affected packages [ORDER BY
maint]) until 75-90% of the transition is finished and only afterwards file
bugs on those packages that still pose problems. This often also included
maintaining a external repository with all changed packages (see SELinux for
example).

Regards, David

--
- hallo... wie gehts heute?