On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 08:47:08AM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 02:41:35PM +0100, Frank K?ster wrote:
> > Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> schrieb:
> > > Sure. Who's doing that on anything but i386/amd64/powerpc?
> >
> > What about embedded stuff?
>
> Is is necessary/useful to have a *release* of Debian for those?

I think it is.  If you a stable Debian release, you can be fairly confident
that most of your quality issues won't exist, and can get on with
building your value on top of that.  If you've got to work from snapshots of
unstable, you've got to do all of your own QA on that snapshot -- and if
there's 20 companies all doing this, that's a lot of wasted duplicate QA.
Although all of those companies could band together independently, I think
that the preferred point of coordination is at the source -- Debian --
instead of somewhere else completely.  A declared stable release is a good
marker toward that.

- Matt