[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Release sarge now, or discuss etch issues? (was: Bits (Nybbles?) from the Vancouver release team meeting)

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 05:32:44PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Frank Küster wrote:
> > I do not understand why the Nybbles team mixed their good news about
> > sarge with their foreseeably controversial plans or proposal for etch.
> > I fear that we will have a huge, long flamewar.  And many competent,
> > active people will start coding implementations of alternatives to the
> > Nybbles plan, alternatives that will allow us to make releases also of
> > the SCC/tier-2 arches.
> > 
> > I think all this discussion about etch should be delayed until sarge is
> > out.  Of course we would need a statement from the Nybbles team that
> > they do not intend to make decicions, and not to settle facts before a
> > thorough discussion has taken place - after the release.
> The fact that the release team now sees the light at the end of the
> tunnel for the release of sarge means that now is the time we need to
> begin planning for etch. Allowing unstable development to pick back up
> after a release with no clear plan for the next release has been shown
> time and time again to delay the next release by one to two *years*.
> The rest follows from that.

And would a larger discussion at debconf'05 not have been more appropriate
than handing done a couple of taken decision disguised as proposal ? 

It is not too late for this yet, but there needs to be a real discussion with
real facts, and not just a list of resolution letting 8/11th of the project in
the cold.


Sven Luther

Reply to: