On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 08:45:09PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Therefore, we're planning on not releasing most of the minor architectures
> starting with etch.  They will be released with sarge, with all that
> implies (including security support until sarge is archived), but they
> would no longer be included in testing.
>
> This is a very large step, and while we've discussed it fairly thoroughly
> and think we've got most of the bugs worked out, we'd appreciate hearing
> any comments you might have.

I assume such a drastic step come from a lack of man-power to perform
some key tasks.

Why not start a campaign to recruit more developers in the specific team
that need more man-power ? This was done by the Security team and the
Release team with much success.

In the last few years, we have seen the creation of team to allow to
share works between developers, like the KDE team, the GNOME team, the
kernel team and the release team (and dozen less known teams) in part
thanks to the introduction of alioth which has enabled us to be more
productive. We have a new installer architecture that should be more
maintainable.

I think we have fixed 99% of the problems of supporting 12 architecture.
Renouncing so close to the goal without even trying seems really backward.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

[How I can write such calm email after the shock I had reading the
nybbles is beyond me. Do not assume then, that I have no strong feeling
on the issue: I value highly the stable releases on non-mainstream archs]

Imagine a large red swirl here... before it vanish ?