Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 02:12:48AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
>> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
>>
>> > BTW, how much of the human intervention needed for buildd signing
>> > plays in the delays you see, and did you discuss the possibiliity of
>> > a fully autobuilder setup, like ubuntu does and i advocated years
>> > ago ?
>>
>> I can't answer for Steve, but it seems to me that signing isn't the
>> problem.  There is not a big delay in getting packages signed; the
>> delay is much more frequently getting them actually built.
>
> Well, i will disagree. It is only needed for the signer to go out to
> vacations, and uploads break for a couple of days or weeks, which immediately
> break builds of packages dependent on said packages, and cause delay in the
> build queue, especially on slower arches. This is not theoretical, it happened
> to me already in the past.

Which is a realy big argument for having multiple admins and even
sharing the signing priviliges between buildd admins. For multibuild
an idea was to automatically mail the other buildd admins when the
primary admin fails to act within a certain time.

As I understand it the w-b team is against multiple admins per arch or
even buildd making sickness, accidents or vacation much more critical.

>> Where human delay did come into play was in getting the xfree86 mess
>> cleaned; in theory it should have taken one or two days, but in
>> practice it took much longer.
>
> Why not fully eliminate the human factor ? Ubuntu does automated build from
> source only uploads, the package sources are built and signed by a developer,
> autobuilt on all arches, and i don't believe they are individually signed
> after that.

Security reasons?

What would have helped in the xfree86 mess and many others would be
the buildd rebuilding the chroot from scratch (or backup) after
errors. Also a feature proposed for multibuild.

> Friendly,
>
> Sven Luther

Yes, this screams for multibuild to replace wanna-build. Sorry for the
advertisment of the still mostly vapourware.

MfG
        Goswin