On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 04:10:33PM +0100, David Schmitt wrote:
> On Monday 14 March 2005 10:56, Aurélien Jarno wrote:
> > I think that supporting a lot of architectures is an important
> > difference between Debian and other distributions. Changing that could
> > have a dramatically influence of what users think of Debian. IMHO, such
> > an important decision should not be taken by a few developers. Maybe a
> > vote is need...
>
> Since this is already the second time, I see someone calling for a vote, I
> just want to note, that no vote in the world could force someone to do work
> he is not willing to do. Forcing RMs to resign via vote would leave Debian in
> a much worse state.

As opposed to individual maintainers having to bow to the mandates of a select
few ? Where do you think Debian where if all those arch porters masively left
? Or those that a time or other where at odds with those folk ?

You can't have it both way, one one said controlling stuff and keeping as much
tasks and decisional power in your own hand, and on the other side claiming
you are not willing to do the work because you don't have enough time. There
where enough offers for help on this issue.

That said, this whole process is a good thing, i think it is a clear
admittance from the ftp-masters and the buildd-admins that they can't keep up
with their responsabilities and workload to keep thing going as it was, but
instead of simply cutting of the porter's effort like a dead limb, a more
constructive approach should have been taken.

Friendly,

Sven Luther