Re: Do not make gratuitous source uploads just to provoke the buildds!

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be> writes:

> > It means that when one is told "just wait, your package will get
> > rebuilt"; it is not necessarily true at all.  There is no upper bound
> > at all on time to wait for building, and that's a disaster.
>
> This paragraph assumes nobody ever looks the length of the needs-build
> queue of his architecture, and nobody feels bad when the queue is longer
> than normal. That idea would be hilarious if it wasn't sad.

There is no need-build queue; please don't call it that because it
causes people to misunderstand it.  "Queue" means "FIFO", at least to
some degree, where needs-build isn't FIFO in any degree.

I have plenty of evidence that the buildd maintainers look at the
length and feel bad when it's long.  But looking at it and feeling bad
aren't sufficient to get a package built.

> In reality, the upper bound is determined by motivated porters who try
> hard to avoid the queue ever to grow too long, day after day.

I have no doubt about their good intentions and trying hard.

Thomas