Re: Serious kernel problems on new i386 hardware

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:48:55 +0100 (CET)
Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Mike Hommey wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 03:10:12PM +0100, Andreas Tille
> > <tillea@rki.de> wrote:
> >>   ERROR: Removing 'trm290': Device or resource busy
> >>   ERROR: Removing 'vis82cxxx': Device or resource busy
> >>   pivot_root: No such file or directory
> >>   /sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file
> >>   Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempt to kill init!
> >
> > Let me guess... you are using devfs in 2.4, and /dev is empty if
> > devfs is not mounted.
> Sorry, I did nothing but installing Debian from scratch and installing
> several kernel-image-2.6.x packages afterwards.  I did no fiddling
> around with devfs whatever (to be honest I do not even have an idea
> why I should if everything would work fine).
>
> The only hint Google was able to reveal was a broken initrd which is
> not able to handle SATA - but as I said, I tried to disable SATA for
> exactly this reason (perhaps I failed but this does not explain why
> 2.4.x works).

Which version of the Debian-Installer did you use? We had similar
symptoms on a new Dell recently at work and had to grab the latest daily
build to get a working version. I can check on the exact date of the
daily build we used, if you want.

HTH,
Jacob