Re: NPTL and static linking

[Blunt Jackson]
> I am familiar with the nss issue, although that's not really relevant
> to this question. The nss issue, and the related question in the FAQ
> is that when statically linking to libc, there are still dynamic
> loads required -- but libc handles this for the application.
> (Presumably by dlopen.)

Yes, dlopen, but the problem is version skew.  With a dynamic libc6,
libc and the NSS modules will always be compatible.  With a static
libc6, NSS functions (gethostbyname, getpwuid, etc.) will only work if
the target system has a very similar version of libc to the one the app
was linked with.  Or they'll be ABI-incompatible and your program will
crash.  Kind of defeats the purpose of static linking.

I know this is not directly related your question, but you displayed
what seemed to be a misunderstanding of the static + NSS problem, so.