Re: Key management using a USB key

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 07:29:20AM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:

On 07-Mar-05, 17:46 (CST), David H?rdeman <david@2gen.com> wrote:
o Revocation certificates for the gpg keys, are there arguments for/against storing them on the usb key?

While you might store the revocation certificate (RC) on *a* key, I certainly
wouldn't store it on *the* key. If you lose the usb key with the gpg
keys, you do want to be able to revoke them, right?

Since the RCs are not something I need regularly, I put mine on a couple
of CDs, and printed a copy (worst case).

Sorry, I was being vague.

I did of course intend to have the revocation certificates on the key in *addition* to alternative forms of storage.

My concern was rather if there was any problems with this. As far as I can understand, all that a malicous persom who found the key could do with the revocation cert would be to revoke my gpg key right?...which would not be a problem as I would have to assume the worst and perform the revocation anyway should the usb key be lost.

So the revocation could even be stored in cleartext on the usb key, unless I'm mistaken?

Re,
David