Re: Switchconf: Orphaning or removing?

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 07:32:30PM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Sorry... I got your mail the first time, I am sorry I could not reply
> to it sooner.
>
> > There exist any alternative?
>
> Most of the use I had seen for switchconf was regarding network
> detection - that can be perfectly handled through divine, laptop-net,
> laptop-netconf or netapplet... Now, I know switchconf could do some
> extra stuff (i.e., not be in any way tied to the network, work to
> switch between arbitrary files in a desktop system)... However, the
> script is too simplistic, can lead to strange problems, seems to have
> been thought for laptop-specific use, and was never popular.

My self I use laptop-netconf to detect where I am and it run switchconf to
change the configuration files.

> > What can I do to get it back into the Debian?
> > PS: I am not a Debian Developer.
>
> Well... It could get back into Debian for sure, but there must be
> somebody responsable for it. You can take the package, even not being
> a DD, uploading it through a sponsor. You are, besides, the second
> person who asked me about this, the first one was Martin Krafft
> <madduck@debian.org>, who _is_ a DD... He might want to resurrect it
> and take it over or sponsor your uploads.

If Martin Krafft don't try to put it back, I may try to find a
sponsor.  I am searchinf for a good excuse to be a DD.

> I am sorry... When I decided to let it go, I gave some time expecting
> nobody would complain about it - and you complained just a little bit
> too late :-(

I have missed you post.  Some days ago when I tried to install
switchconf I found it was missing.  It was the google that show your
post.

> In the worst case, you can keep Switchconf as a locally generated
> package, or set up your own internal apt repository for it and
> whatever other packages you need. I really don't like it, it is too
> dirty. I wanted to do a complete rewrite, but I never had time to do
> so.

For me, switchconf is good as is, you may keep it like is now.  For
now I have a local repository where I have put your the last version,
with other home made debs.

--

Uma coisa é ser dono do dinheiro, e outra ter o direito de usá-lo como quiser

--Gioacchino Pecci