Re: resources for packaging

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 15:19 -0800, Gilbert, Joseph wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I work for a software company that up until now has developed software,
> mostly written in Java, that is deployed inhouse to servers that are
> administering internally.
>
> We are looking at now exporting our code and making it useful to a wider
> client base.  This obviously will mean that the software packages will have
> to be built as .deb, .rpms, tarballs and whatever else will be needed.  I
> have been told that I will likely be responsible for the packaging, being
> the Unix System Administrator and thus having the most tools and experience
> available to determine the makeup of these packages.
>
> However, this is entering a realm where I have little knowledge or
> experience.  Does anyone know of good resources for basic data and concepts,
> something like an O'Reilly book on the subject.  Please let me know your
> recomendations.

http://www.debian.org/devel/
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/java-policy/

You'll of course need Debian Sarge installed on some box or another.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Peace is normally a great good, and normally it coincides with
righteousness, but it is righteousness and not peace which should
bind the conscience of a nation as it should bind the conscience
of an individual; and neither a nation nor an individual can
surrender conscience to another's keeping."
Theodore Roosevelt