resources for packaging

Hi guys,

I work for a software company that up until now has developed software,
mostly written in Java, that is deployed inhouse to servers that are
administering internally.

We are looking at now exporting our code and making it useful to a wider
client base.  This obviously will mean that the software packages will have
to be built as .deb, .rpms, tarballs and whatever else will be needed.  I
have been told that I will likely be responsible for the packaging, being
the Unix System Administrator and thus having the most tools and experience
available to determine the makeup of these packages.

However, this is entering a realm where I have little knowledge or
experience.  Does anyone know of good resources for basic data and concepts,
something like an O'Reilly book on the subject.  Please let me know your
recomendations.

Thank you,

Joe Gilbert