Re: Let's remove mips, mipsel, s390 ... [or have strict arch: control? ]

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 01:28:58AM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:

> >> As a sidenote, wanna-build and buildd completly ignore the
> >> architecture line (apart from arch:all) and build packages anyway.
> >
> > Well, somewhat :-)
> >
> > they /attempt/ the build. sbuild will detect that it is not actually a
> > package for this architecture, and will break it off right when the
> > source package is extracted.
>
> It does? How does that work for packages with only a minimal control
> file that generate a full contol file during build?

Such packages need to make sure their initial control file contains
enough information about the architectures a package can be built on
anyway if they want dpkg-buildpackage to run successfully.

> I see the Arch check of the dsc file in line 742-484 but that is very
> unreliable. Anything I missed?

Haven't looked at the source, only know the behaviour when a
foreign architecture's package's build is attempted. Something like

Architecture not in control file: i386 -- skipped

or so.

> >> Anything in the control file is purely informative to the buildd admin
> >> at this point.
> >
> > No, sbuild does check more things.
>
> Ok, slightly exagerated, but a lot of packages would get build by sbuild
> wrongfully if it weren't for packages-arch-specific in wanna-build.

'some', rather than 'a lot'; but apart from that, correct.

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks