Re: [OT] maildir (was Re: procmail and Large File Support)

On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 22:26 -0500, sean finney wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 06:51:32PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > That seems awfully huge.  In my (Maildir) archive of d-u, the
> > average size is 4,959 bytes.  Of course, there are no html mails.
> > Though, even in my Evolution list archive, where there are many
> > more html-mails, the average size is only 6,097.
>
> i came up with the number by totalling the mailbox sizes of a 3000 user
> mail system, and then dividing by the total number of messages in these
> mailboxes.  this generated a number around 13k average message size.
> i had to do this as part of assessing the feasability of migrating
> to maildir without reformatting the filesystem.

Wow.  Lot's of html and lots of attachments.

It might also be useful to calculate the mode and standard deviation.
Why?  Really big attachments *might* be skewing the average.

> > > recent versions of kernel/ext2/ext3 have built-in dirent hashing, which
> > > cuts heavily on the many-files penalty.  another benefit of maildir
> > > is that when you modify a single message, you only need to modify the
> >
> > I thought it was "illegal" to modify a message.
>
> marking a message as read is one example.  moving a message from one
> mailbox to another is another example.  although it's not modifying the
> message itself, it's moving its location, which with a crappy imap
> server can mean re-writing the contents of two mailboxes.

*cough* wu- *cough* ;)

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Lead the people with governmental measures and regulate them by
law and punishments, and they will avoid wrongdoing, but will
have no sense of honor and shame. Lead them by virtue and
regulate them by the rules of propriety and they will have a
sense of shame and, moreover, set themselves right."
Confucius