Re: [OT] maildir (was Re: procmail and Large File Support)

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 06:51:32PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> That seems awfully huge.  In my (Maildir) archive of d-u, the
> average size is 4,959 bytes.  Of course, there are no html mails.
> Though, even in my Evolution list archive, where there are many
> more html-mails, the average size is only 6,097.

i came up with the number by totalling the mailbox sizes of a 3000 user
mail system, and then dividing by the total number of messages in these
mailboxes.  this generated a number around 13k average message size.
i had to do this as part of assessing the feasability of migrating
to maildir without reformatting the filesystem.

> > recent versions of kernel/ext2/ext3 have built-in dirent hashing, which
> > cuts heavily on the many-files penalty.  another benefit of maildir
> > is that when you modify a single message, you only need to modify the
>
> I thought it was "illegal" to modify a message.

marking a message as read is one example.  moving a message from one
mailbox to another is another example.  although it's not modifying the
message itself, it's moving its location, which with a crappy imap
server can mean re-writing the contents of two mailboxes.

	sean