Re: dh_movefiles, tar vs. mv

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 07:54:27PM +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
> Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de> schrieb:
> > Re: Daniel Burrows in <[🔎] 200502251314.09459.dburrows@debian.org>
> >>   I'd imagine that it doesn't use mv for the same reason "install" doesn't;
> >> ie, its purpose is to COPY files, not MOVE them.
> >
> > As I understood it, the question was about moving stuff from
> > debian/tmp to debian/package. The stuff in debian/tmp should get
> > removed by the clean target anyway, so it doesn't hurt to move instead
> > of copying it.
>
> Indeed. Especially when people tell me that dh_install is the successor
> of dh_movefiles, which even has move in its name...

debhelper (4.0.0) unstable; urgency=low

  * dh_movefiles has long been a sore point in debhelper. Inherited
    from debstd, its interface and implementation suck, and I have maintained
    it while never really deigning to use it. Now there is a remplacment:
    dh_install, which ...
    - copies files, doesn't move them. Closes: #75360, #82649

Cheers,