dh_movefiles, tar vs. mv

Hi,

dh_movefiles internally uses tar to move file contents. I'm not sure why
it doesn't use mv, is it because mv moves the file block-by-block and
thus starts removing parts of the file before it is completely written,
and hence is less save?

Anyway: If I am only going to move complete subdirectories from the temp
tree to the package trees, is it in this case safe to use mv? It's much
faster, and it would safe space (because dh_movefiles only removes the
originals after the complete tarball has been extracted).

TIA, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich