Re: help needed with mips build failure

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 04:33:04PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> > Considering Debian is the only mainstream desktop distribution with a mips
> > port, and gnucash upstream has in the past disavowed all responsibility for
> > compatibility with non-i386 archs, this seems laughably false.  Also,
> > there's the fact that we've been dealing with this failure of libtool 1.4 to
> > build working shared libs on mips for years, as evidenced by the fact that
> > there *is* a boilerplate response, and no one made the problem up out of
> > whole cloth...
> So as an example of the disasters that this is causing, take a look at
> the build failures for the -6 and -7 versions.  A simple "just
> upgrade, see it's easy" doesn't work, even for the *old* versions of
> the tools.

> Take a look at this one:

> http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=gnucash&ver=1.8.10-7&arch=mipsel&stamp=1108591154&file=log&as=raw

> It fails because the new tools, for some curious reason, define
> include makefile variable differently than the ones included in
> gnucash.  Gnucash expects to be able to include <X11/Xlib.h> and have
> it work.  Supposedly the xfree86-common package provides a symlink from
> /usr/include/X11 to the right place.  But on mipsel (and others) this
> doesn't seem to work, and if you note from the build log linked to
> above, buildd doesn't actually *install* xfree86-common (even though I
> added a Build-Depends), but instead says it is "already installed".

That would be RC bug #295175 in the xfree86-common package.  I don't imagine
gnucash would've fared any better under these circumstances without the
libtool update, either.

Though it might be nice if gnucash's configure script called, and used the
output from, the AC_PATH_X macro if it's going to be including X11/Xlib.h
(and why does a GNOME application need to directly include X headers,
anyway?).

> I'm a little frustrated, because the actual distributed gnucash
> sources work on nearly every arch, but the "oh, just use the new
> tools, here's how" instructions almost perpetually fail and cause me
> extra headache and frustration.

Yes, libtool updates are not as nice as they ought to be -- frequently
complicated by upstreams' use of questionable practices where autoconf
macros (aclocal.m4) are concerned.  I still haven't gotten gnucash playing
nicely with libtool 1.5, FWIW, after several iterations...

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer