Re: mplayer, the time has come

Henning Makholm wrote:
Scripsit debdev@tonelli.sns.it (A Mennucc)

Solution:
the DeCSS  is deleted from the package proposed for Debian
(for this reason, I upload mplayer as a native package);

That is not a valid reason to pretend it is a native package. The
correct thing to do is to create a new .orig.tar.gz with the offending
files removed from it, but keep the rest of the .orig.tar.gz
unchanged. Debian changes and package infrastructure should still go
in a .diff.gz, and the package version should consist of an upstream
version with a separate Debian revision.

I object to this

a file   mplayer....orig.tar.gz      is, as the name says, the original distributed source

distributing my modified tar.gz disguising it as the upstream original one would be cause of confusion

a.