mplayer, the time has come

hi

I have uploaded a new version of the 'mplayer' package for Debian,
namely version 1.0pre6-1

(Unfortunately it does not show yet in the new queue  at
http://qa.debian.org/~anibal/debian-NEW.html
but it is also accessible at
http://tonelli.sns.it/pub/mplayer/sarge
)

I REALLY think that the time has come for mplayer to be part of Debian

--- HISTORY and CURRENT STATUS

There have been two main problems keeping mplayer out of Debian:
licenses and copyrights.

Licenses:
the upstream code contains some code that is protected by
(more or less) actively enforced licenses:
DeCSS code to decode encrypted dvd;
ffmpeg and OpenDivx code to en/decode MPEG4.

Solution:
the DeCSS  is deleted from the package proposed for Debian
(for this reason, I upload mplayer as a native package);
whereas ffmpeg is not a problem anymore : the package 'ffmpeg'
is in Debian already.
The OpenDivx code is not there any more, see in section E.2 of docs, or
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/mplayer-binary.html

Copyrights: at some time in the past, a lot of code was added to mplayer
without keeping due track (as GPL requires); this spurred a long
and wild thread in debian and mplayer lists, about 5 years ago.

Solution: lately, the mplayer team did a long and detailed work to track down
the origin of all the code in MPlayer; the results are in the 'Copyright'
file.

--- PLEA

Please, please

I acknowledge that, in the past, there were many problems that
prevented mplayer from entering Debian; these problems sometimes
spurred flaming threads; I think that these problems are now solved;
but some people would still write  mails as
"mplayer is a copyright mess" or
"mplayer is so encumbered by patents it will never go in Debian".

Please forget the past problems and check this package as it is now.

--- POPULAR SUPPORT

there have been many voices asking for mplayer to be in Debian

Jan 05, F Dannemare:
 " what is now holding back
   software such as mplayer/mencoder, transcode and mjpegtools from
   entering Debian?"

Goswin von Brederlow :
 "At least I would like to know whats up with mplayer now that ffmpeg is
 in Debian."

Jul 2004 , L Kaplan:
 "I didn't find any package for MPlayer on the main repository. I checked
 its license and found it to be GPL v2
 (http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/info.html)
 Any reason that it won't have a package?"

Jan 04, D Shearer, Re: Top 5 things that aren't in Debian but should be :-)
  "mplayer will definitely make the top 5, it illustrates some of the
   bottle-necks of Debian or better, of the upstream. When two perfect ones
   meet ;) "

M Krafft
  "So can we package it now for Debian?"

Moreover there have been many many ITP for mplayer.

--- HISTORY

the history of the effort to have MPlayer into Debian is a loooong one;
we have uploaded many packages; the second-but-last time I prepared and/or
uploaded a package was in
Jul 2003 :  http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/07/msg01633.html
  we received some feedback and we corrected all problems in mplayer 0.90
Mar 2004 :
 there was a nice and contructive thread started by
 which suggested that mplayer was ready to be accepted
 (but for a minor concern expressed in
  that was not considered too bad to reject the package).

I then uploaded a package  mplayer 1.0.cvs20030324-1
that was refused (in Aug 04) because
/usr/share/doc/mplayer/copyright was incomplete; I uploaded a
corrected version , and never received a reply.

a.

--
Andrea Mennucc
 "Ukn ow,Ifina llyfixe dmysp acebar.ohwh atthef"