Re: #284724: Interpretation of NON-BREAK SPACE

On Sath, 2005-02-12 at 11:07 +0100, Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
> Il giorno sab, 12-02-2005 alle 09:43 +0000, Alastair McKinstry ha
> scritto:
> [...]
> > Does anyone have copies (or pointers to free versions of) SUS and any
> > rulings on this matter? What are developers opinions on this: should
> > this be treated as a shell (and other scripting language) bug, ie.
> > should all characters in the class [:space:] be treated as a token
> > seperator in shells/languages, or just the ASCII SPACE?
>
> I believe that non breaking space is just something related to the
> layout of a document, so the semantic of a sentence or command including
> such characters should just tread them as normal spaces.

FWIW, I agree with this, but I think I should review all the unicode
characters in the [:space:] class first. (e.g. ZERO WIDTH SPACE?)  If
standards are specific about 'space' being purely U+0020, then
technically we could break some strange programs, but I doubt it.

As this is not a shell-specific problem, I was really wondering if the
scripting languages had encountered it, particularly the 'we support
Unicode' ones... like Perl and Python...