Re: what is /.udev for ?

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 19:24 -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 09-Feb-05, 19:12 (CST), Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> > "So what?", you say.  Well, data should only be listed once, not
> > twice.  gtkdiskfree sums up all total and free disk space, and
> > having /.dev in there totally distorts the truth.
>
> If you don't have a fs mounted, df won't show it either. Is it lying
> then, too?
>
> Df et. al. show all the mounted filesystems. If the same filesystem is
> mounted twice, then it shows it twice.

It's a PITA to have to manually subtract out /.dev.

"For people who want MAKEDEV to keep updating the static /dev."

It's not the most essential thing in the world, so should be dropped,
and added when needed.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"You're a good example of why some animals eat their young."
Jim Samuels